My experiences with On Target

Matthew Estay
John at On Target  has done three of my firearms. The first was my Savage Fox 20ga. side by side. The barrel was in pretty bad shape and was starting to pit in some areas. John took the gun and and cleaned it up inside and out &coated it in a tungsten ceramic coating.  Now the gun looks as good as it shoots.After being  impressed with the work on my double barrel I let John take my Keltec PF-9 and give it an overhaul.  First he had to take off the do-it yourself coatings that i had put on when I got the gun but it started to flake off and jam the gun. After he stripped the gun down he coated in a black graphite coating inside and out. When i gave John the gun I told him about how picky the gun was about the types of ammo it would shoot.  Pretty much it would only shoot FMJ ammo, so John reccomended to me to let him polish and reshape the feed ramp. When i got the gun back the coating was flawless and the feed ramp was like a mirror. Now it works flawlessly, it was like shooting a totally different gun. The last of the three guns that John has worked on for me is my pride and joy,  H&K USP Tactical 45ACP. On this gun I went for even more options. John was talking to me about getting my gun cryogenically treated. He told me it would improve the finish of the caoting, make my gun shoot tighter groups and prolong the life of my gun., so I told go for it and he also sent my three mag springs in with my gun saying it would tighten them up.  Well I just picked it up last Friday and man what can I say but "perfection." He went with a new coating that he just received  - a dark metallic gray/almost black color that has very high anti-friction properties in it. The finish came out so much smoother from being cryo'd. John even went as far as adding some detail and by coating the thread protector and shell extractor in black. Another benefit that I can see from the cryo process is that all of my mag springs are super tight as if they were new, if not, better than new. And the recoil springs are a little stiffer, too, which brought the recoil down a bit. I've also notice that my groupings have gotten smaller. As far as John's finished products go, you can tell he pulls out all the stops to give his customers the best quality available. For anyone wanting to refinish a firearm, or give their gun a one of a kind look, give John a call and you won't be disapointed. I can't wait to give him something to coat just to see what else he can do.